The seller accepted somewhat reluctantly to bandsaw the beam into 3mm slices, but I guess it must have been the first time he was asked to do such a thing. He actually asked if I didn't prefer to purchase some very thin veneering wood... No thanks, that really wouldn't do.
The planing and scraping from 3+ mm down to 1.4mm took forever... (Today I own a machine - yet unused - to do that task!)
Naturally I needed some means to measure progress. Those commercial callipers being so expensive, I decided I could simply buy the dial and build the rest around it. Very easy. The thumb wire-handle to lift the gauge is made out of one of those coat hangers you get from the laundry. That wire is quite stiff and works perfectly...
Read next post : The shell